Dr. Richard Winters is a professional and executive coach for physician leaders, an experienced health care leader, and an emergency physician at Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Winters is an experienced health care leader who has served as:
• CEO/President of IPA | built IPA from 0 to 450 physician members
• President of the Medical Staff | 800 Physicians in a tertiary care hospital
• CEO of PHO | PHO partnership between IPA and 436-bed hospital
• Managing Partner | Democratic group of 31 ED physicians & midlevels, 50 scribes
• Chair of Emergency Medicine | 75K patient visits per year
Mayo Medical School | 40 students per class | Full-tuition scholarship
UCSF-Fresno | Emergency Medicine Residency | Intern of the Year | Chief Resident
University of Texas at Dallas | Healthcare Management Executive MBA | 40 Physicians per class
University of Texas at Dallas | Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching
Richard speaks at health care organizations throughout the country about health care leadership skills, decision-making, and executive presence. His use of humor, real world examples, and experiential learning gives health care leaders new practices they immediately apply to their work.
Follow Dr. Winters
Dr. Richard Winters is an emergency physician at Mayo Clinic and an executive coach for physician leaders.
Richard is a graduate of the University of Texas at Dallas Executive and Professional Coaching Program and is an International Coaching Federation certified coach. He holds a Healthcare Management Executive MBA from the University of Texas at Dallas and UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Richard previously served as the President of a 800-physician medical staff and as President/CEO of a forming Independent Practice Association. He has served as the Managing Partner of a democratic emergency medicine group that cared for over 75,000 patients each year. He has led emergency departments that have been on the cutting edge of healthcare operations for the past fifteen years.
In December of 2009, Richard was the inaugural winner of the Physician Champion in Care Award at Saint Agnes Medical Center. This award was created by the hospital nursing staff to honor the physician who:
- demonstrates respect for all members of the clinical team, is open to different points of view, and communicates openly and effectively.
- recognizes and values the individual and shared knowledge in nurse / physician interactions.
- supports nursing in engaging patients as active participants in their care.
- appreciates and values the integral role teamwork plays in the delivery of care and in improving patient outcomes.
He attended Mayo Medical School on full-tuition scholarship and is a member of The Doctors Mayo Society. He is board certified and residency trained in Emergency Medicine from the University of California, San Francisco at Fresno. While a resident he was Chief Resident and won the Intern of the Year award.
He attended the Honors College at the University of Illinois at Chicago and won several student research awards.
Richard is 46 years old. He lives in Rochester, Minnesota with his wife (a surgeon) and two daughters (ages 9 and 11). They have a German Shepherd.
You can reach him at: email@example.com